Your online store starts with adding a Store widget to your project. Then, you add products to your store. Once your catalog is up and running, you can manage your product pages (here, you can read about managing products).
If you have an extensive catalog, you need to group your products into product types. They are product groups with the same attributes (e.g., an author, language, publisher, cover type, and ISBN — International Standard Book Number — for books). Product types can help you specify additional information about goods and keep some sensitive info (e.g., net cost) away from customers.
Creating product types
You can create and manage product types in your Store Manager.
All products in your catalog belong to the General type by default.
To create a new product type:
- From your Store Manager, go to Settings — Product Types.
- Click Add New Product Type.
- Find matching types in the dropdown menu with the help of the search bar.
- Choose one of the suggested types.
- Click Add.
So, now you can manage product attributes to give your customers additional details about this product type. Find more info in our Managing Product Attributes article.
Assigning product types and attributes
To define a product type and enter values for attributes, follow these steps:
- Go to Catalog — Products from your Store Manager.
- Click on a product to edit its details.
- Switch to the Attributes tab.
- Click Change type to select the required type of product.
- Fill in the attribute values.
- Click Save.
Now you can check how these attributes are shown under Product Description on a product detail page.
If you want to get more from the Store Widget, please check the article about its paid plans.
We hope this article has explained how to manage product types in the online store.
Now, it’s time to start managing product types on your website as you wish.Go to Editor